No water user shall waste water or make, cause or permit the use of water for any purpose contrary to any provision of this Section, or in quantities in excess of the use permitted by the conservation stage in effect pursuant to this Section. The conservation stage shall be determined by the Board of Trustees, except that in a sudden emergency such as failure of a major supply line or pumping facility, the Manager may call for and immediately enforce Stage 4, Emergency Water Supply Storage conservation measures.
Stage 1 – Normal Conditions. During Stage 1, when conditions are normal and there is an adequate water supply, property owners and their tenants shall not waste water and shall comply with the following:
- Unless used on new lawns or landscaping, and the District office has been notified, no outside irrigation will be allowed between the hours of 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM.
- Water shall not be allowed to flow from the property onto impervious surfaces or adjacent property.
- Property owners shall repair all leaks in plumbing and irrigation systems in a timel manner.
- Hoses shall not be used for washing vehicles without the use of a shut-off nozzle attached to the Continuous discharge from hose nozzle is prohibited.
- Water users are encouraged to report to the District all signs of water leaks or water waste.
Stage 2 – Moderate Water Supply Shortage. During Stage 2, when the District has determined there is a moderate water supply shortage, Stage 1 restrictions apply, plus the following additional restrictions:
- Designated irrigation days shall be established which require a property whose street address ends with an even number to water on even-numbered calendar days and a property whose street address ends with an odd number to water on odd-numbered calendar No irrigation is allowed on the 31stof the month. An exemption shall exist under Stage 2 restrictions for new lawn planted within thirty (30) days of the commencement of Stage 2, or to comply with the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency’s revegetation requirements on new construction or remodels. Irrigation of lawns, gardens, landscaped areas, trees, shrubs or other plants is permitted at anytime if: 1) a hand-held hose is used, or 2) a hand-held, faucet filled bucket of five (5) gallons or less is used, or 3) a drip or soaker-type irrigation system is used.
- Water shall not be used to wash sidewalks, driveways, parking areas, tennis courts, decks, patios or other improved areas, except in conjunction with driveway repair and sealing or to alleviate immediate fire or sanitation hazards.
- All commercial establishments where food or beverages are provided shall serve water to their customers only when specifically requested by the customer.
Stage 3 – Severe Water Supply Shortage. During Stage 3, when the District has determined there is a severe water supply shortage, Stage 1 and Stage 2 restrictions shall apply, plus the following restrictions:
- There shall be no new lawn or landscape installation.
- There shall be no washing of vehicles or other motorized equipment except at commercial washing facilities that recycle wash water.
- Irrigation of lawns, gardens, landscaped areas, trees, shrubs or other plants is permitted only once per week except irrigation may be done at anytime only if: 1) a hand-held hose is used, or 2) a hand-held, faucet filled bucket of five (5) gallons or less is used, or 3) a drip or soaker-type irrigation system is The Board may permit an exception for commercial and public facilities.
- The operation of any ornamental fountain or similar decorative water structure is prohibited unless a recycling system is used and a notice to the public of such recycling system is prominently displayed.
- The filling of outdoor swimming pools is permitted only if they are covered during periods of non-use.
Stage 4 – Emergency Water Supply Shortage. During Stage 4, when the Board has determined there is an emergency water supply shortage, or the Manager has determined there is a temporary emergency water supply shortage due to failure of a major supply line or pumping facility, Stage 1, 2 and 3 restrictions shall apply, plus the following restrictions:
- The use of water for other than domestic and commercial use is prohibited except that the Board (or Manager in the case of a temporary emergency) may grant discretionary exemptions for individual water users or specific facilities or impose reasonable conditions in lieu of compliance with this Section.
- The use of water for dust or dirt control, grading and construction purposes is prohibited.
- The flushing of fire hydrants, except for emergency purposes, is prohibited.